Is your child looking to volunteer with CSC this summer? Our Junior Instructor in Training Camp provides the necessary skills and training for Junior Sailors (ages 12-17) to become confident and qualified Junior Instructors. Participants are taught what is needed to assist instructors with a wide variety of boats, and age groups. Leadership development, and positive role model skills, are stressed in this course along with emerging skills in recognizing safety concerns. This course is mandatory for all Junior Instructor applicants. Other prerequisites include:
- Complete the JSIT application and which includes a brief letter of intent. This application letter will need to include information about why you are interested in the role, why you would be a good fit, and your related experiences. All applications will be required before the candidate can begin volunteering.
- Successful completion of Intermediate Sailing Camp or higher
- Completion of Heads Up Concussion Protocol (which is free online course to be renewed every year http://www.cdc.gov/concussion/HeadsUp/online_training.html)
Recommended but not required for 14+ year old JSITs: Completion of the Colorado Boating Safely Course:
https://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/BoatingSafetyCourses.aspx This in-person course will teach students about motorboat safety and the corresponding regulations and requirements. This is not a mandatory course by any means, however, it gives the JSIT the opportunity to drive power boats and we hope that our JSITs who are interested will eventually become full-time instructors when they are eligible at 16 years of age. A prerequisite for being an instructor is passing a US Sailing Level 1 Instructor Course. This includes a motorboat skills test which requires Colorado Boating Safely Course course and subsequent license. Acquiring this license in advance and having ample time to practice the summer prior to taking the Level 1 course is a great opportunity for those who want to eventually become an official Sailing Instructor. Note: Any JSIT 16 years old or older may also take a web-based version of this boat safety class:(http://www.boatus.org/colorado/).
We would like to bring all returning JSITs together for a review and summer orientation. Parents are highly encouraged to attend to meet other parents and even talk carpool options. Please attend one of the following “Meet & Greets” below to help kickoff the season. CSC will be cooking up burgers and dogs to keep everyone well fed.
- Boulder Reservoir: Junior Instructor Meet & Greet Party | June 4 from 4:30 pm-6:00 pm
- Cherry Creek Reservoir: Junior Instructor Meet & Greet Party | May 27 from 4:30 pm-6:00 pm
Before and After Care: We will be offering Before and After Care from 8:00 am-9:00 am & 3:30 pm-4:30 pm each day. During registration, you will see the option to add on Before and/or After Care.